3.29.2010

Rain, scones, sausages, and Riverdance

It's been raining all day here, but as a London librarian told me it's good "working weather." It's nice, the moss is greening up everywhere and seems to be waiting patiently for the sun to come out again. The light here has been amazing, peeking in and out of the clouds, absolutely perfect for an HDR photo, which I have no idea how to take, nor could I with my iPhone.

My stomach has not been feeling the best, so I've kept away from the traditional Irish breakfast, though I'm really curious to try the black and white pudding. I did have two simply amazing treats today - a scone with jam and what I thought at first was whipped butter. I couldn't understand why people were spooning it in heaps onto their scones - who wants to eat a solid scoop of butter? Although I recalled my lavishly buttered ham sandwich from Saturday and thought maybe it was just an Irish thing. So, I followed along and put a scoop on each side, only to find out that it was the most delicious cream I have ever tasted - light and airy and just fabulous. Wow. I'm hoping we have more tomorrow. I've also been staying away from the sausages, but I couldn't resist trying a small, particularly crispy-looking one tonight at our reception. Wow. The outside was carmelized and delectable, and the inside was so flavorful it almost didn't even taste like meat. I may have to venture down the sausage route a little farther, if my stomach will let me.

The origin of the sausages was a conference reception tonight at the Limerick College of Art and Design, in a really great old hall. They brought in a small troupe of Irish step dancers to do a show, which was so fun as I've never seen that live. Being an old lady who has to present in the morning, I left early to come back to the hotel despite the pleas of a bloodshot-eyed, suspiciously garrulous Irish conferencer who said he and his buddies been up till 4AM the night before and I'd be missing out on the music. Thanks but no thanks!