3.31.2010

Last day in Limerick

The interplay of light and clouds on the distant hills today has been really breathtaking. Also breathtaking, and a little bit stinging, was the hailstorm I got caught in while walking back to my hotel from King John's Castle. When I left, the sun was shining, and not five minutes later I was being pelted mercilessly with ice granules. By the time I got back to the hotel 15 minutes later, the sun was out again and I was soaked. The cold and exercise were invigorating, though, so I'm none the worse for the wear.

This morning, we finished up the conference with some more on-target, well presented, very relevant sessions. LILAC has been one of the best conferences I've attended. I hope I get to trave to more in the future, especially if they're in cool places like Ireland.

This afternoon, I finished up my shopping. I visited Debenham's, an Irish department store, and some other places along the way. I resisted the temptation to purchase every woolen or knitted item within reach. I never did find a yarn shop here, but that's just as well as the last thing I need is more yarn.

In my walk, I ran across St. Mary's Cathedral, the oldest building I have ever set foot in - built in the 1200s. It was, again, another breathtaking place. Photos can't do a building like that justice - the texture of the walls, the stillness of the air, the silence. While it was beautiful, and there was some color shining on the walls from the windows, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was completely and utterly dead. It felt like a tomb, not a church. It was a bit sad. The rest of the places in the city are so vibrant, and this place was like an old shell of something that had long died. I'm very glad I went in; it gave me a sense of what "post-Christian Europe" really feels like.

I'm ready now to go home. It's been a wonderful trip, but I don't want to come back without my family. I'm really glad for the perspective I've gained here, and even for the bit of a reality check for all my romanticizing about Europe. Praying that all the flights go smoothly tomorrow and that Justin and Ellie are waiting at the airport.