10.09.2005

adventures in nerdiness

I was having such a great day at work on Friday that Mark talked me into marching in the MSU Sesquicentennial parade with him and a bunch of librarians. So... I went to represent for the 'brary. Our library director and the former director got to ride in a convertible and the rest of us walked behind, carried signs, and handed out these maracas with the library name on them. Kids were pretty excited to get them... wish I could say the same about their excitement level at seeing a bunch of librarians! ;-) We did get some interesting cheers though... "We love the cybercafe!" was one... "Yeah Dewey Decimal" was another... but my favorite was definitely "Go Periodicals!" I had to shush a couple would be-hecklers despite myself. The parade itself was fun - there were something like 150 entries and 7 bands. Every department from MSU and a bunch of organizations had entries or floats. We were behind the sinking Titanic, complete with smoke coming out of the smokestacks. You can see the float behind Mark in the second pic. I'm not sure what that represented in regards to MSU but it couldn't be good!