3.27.2010

A very Irish day

Having a bus barreling at you on the right side of a narrow road and a sheer rock wall on your left is a little disconcerting, to say the least. Although I really did enjoy the Irish countryside driving challenge today. I don't want to count the number of times that Nancy or I hit the windshield wipers instead of the blinker, but it was a lot. Overall, I think these Americans did pretty well and didn't get in any trouble on the road.

Galway was fun today - intense shopping. It's not even full tourist season yet, and the place was mobbed. Reminded me of Mystic in July. Picked up lots of souvenirs, heard random music playing in the streets, and even caught a bagpiper playing the Star Wars theme at one point. I did have an interesting cultural miscommunication moment today, when I thought that the lady making my ham sandwich asked me if I wanted mayo or mustard, or so I thought I heard. I told her mustard, and then watched her go over to a literal tub of butter and slather it on both sides of my ciabbata bread. Mmmm, ham with butter. Good thing my Jewish grandmother wasn't there!

Dinner tonight at the local pub - fantastic, cheap food. I had mussels and fresh veggie bruschetta and Nancy had the freshest fish & chips I've ever tasted. The traditional live Irish music was starting up just as we were leaving, at the early hour of 10PM. And now, as it's apparently Irish daylight savings time and really almost midnight here, I need to get to sleep.