8.21.2007

the end of an era

It's official: last night I packed up the oboe, went to the UPS store, and sent it off to RDG in Los Angeles to sell on consignment. I have to admit, I did feel a sentimental twinge although it's been sitting in my closet for the past 10 years. There's nothing like that distinct oboe smell when you open the case... although the romantic sentiment rapidly turns south when I start thinking about reeds.

I forgot how much I always had to explain to the general public about what an oboe is. The guy in the UPS store got that faintly amused look when he asked why I needed so much padding and I explained it was an instrument. "What kind of instrument?" I told him a wooden one that could crack with big temperature changes. Look of amusement deepens... then changes to incredulity as I tell him I need to insure it for $4000. "What, do you play in the Boston Pops?" he asks, still laughing. I tell him no but the people who play in the Boston Pops play this type of instrument. I then told him it was an oboe, and then watched him type O-B-O into his form. I politely added the E on the end for him and after laughing at me some more he promptly charged me the $83 I needed to ship it. I just hope it gets there in one piece!