11.17.2005

schneit es

We had our first snow last night. Just a dusting, but enough to make the ground white and make me realize that the only outdoor winter footwear I own are hiking boots and big blue and white moon boots, both of which look incredibly hot with gaucho pants. I ended up wearing my Birkenstock rubber garden clogs to work this morning, and let me tell you what a fashion plate I was! I haven't had so many disdaining stares at my feet since I used to wear those clear plastic Doc Martens in high school! God puts us in really interesting situations sometimes... I am right smack in the middle of my first one-paycheck-per-month cycle and there is no way I can buy new boots... I guess I'm needing to learn some sacrifice and humility right about now.

We had a fantastic turnout at our churchwide Thanksgiving dinner last night. There must have been over 100 people there. The dinner is the only thing that some members' families will come to, and it was great not knowing nearly 2/3 of the people there. I met friends, kids, grandkids, you name it. The food is always fabulous too... the best thing about having so many Southern folks around is that they can all cook a mean pot of turnip greens. I'd never had greens before coming to Immanuel, and now I can't get enough! It's my one saving grace if Justin wants to eat at Cracker Barrel!

This afternoon I have to teach my first instructional class here at the library. It's on "Finding Company and Industry Information." If any of you are interested at all in what I'm doing at my job, you can see my powerpoint here. I also updated our research guide here. Don't worry, I don't expect any of you to actually look at it! It's all pretty boring library nerd stuff!

We are having several guests for Thanksgiving dinner next week. So far we have Tim and Jerri, Kevin, and my co-librarian Peng and his wife Xiaolei who just arrived from China a few weeks ago. Peng loves taking photos and has a Flickr site here. I have already promised Kevin a big ol' batch of garlic rosemary mashed potatoes.