9.13.2005

welcome to slobovia

Last night was fun. I love having any excuse to cook "yard" in large quantities (or in any at all for that matter!) It was funny how many people had a problem eating with their hands. My soup came out thicker than I had hoped and it was the consistency of mush, so that was particularly fun! If I was nicer I would have run out and gotten some flat bread to sop it up with, but it turned out to be really challenging for people. Tim and Jerri were great, they were very authentic hosts - constantly scooping more onto our plates and asking us questions about America.

Our speakers were from West Africa and really gave us some great insight into the culture that they are living and working in. They really showed that in other cultures we need to put aside our American attitudes of "if it's different, then it's wrong." Some of their stories were real eye-openers for many of us too!