8.25.2005

overachieving

I can't believe that there was actually a time when I rode 25 miles on my bike. I know to you athletic types that's nothing but to sportingly-challenged people like me it's up in the stratosphere. I did manage to get off my big booty and ride 6 of the 8 miles into work today (I drove two and parked in a city lot... being realistic!) However, standing requires a little more balance than usual this morning as I'm pretty wobbly after that effort. We'll see if I can make it home tonight!

In Lansing we have the "River Trail" which is a great asset in an otherwise ugly and non-pedestrian or bike friendly city. The trail leads right into the MSU campus, so I was able to take it for about half my ride today. It really is beautiful... except for the part where you have an up-close and personal experience with the off-ramp of 496 and when you go by the sewage plant's outflow into the river... but really, it has some nice spots. You can almost forget you're in the city for a few stretches. I am looking forward to enjoying the fall foliage along the trail... if I can manage to see it through all the sweat!

I have a few books going right now, it's great to be able to read for myself again after being in school for nearly 2 years straight. I'm reading "Simplicity" by Mark Solomon, an autobiography of a Christian rock musician who has a very realistic perspective on the church. It's nice to hear a brother tell his story honestly without trying to sound "churchy." I've also got "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldregdge (John of the "Sacred Romance," etc.) which I've only gotten a little ways into that one but it's promising. I love reading Christians who are fully submitted to God but know that His grace allows them the freedom to think and reason with Him. Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorites in that vein... if you read "The Savage, My Kinsman" this submission and freedom is really apparent. I'm also on book 5 of Harry Potter... if I had a dollar for everyone who asks my opinion on poor Harry I'd be wealthy! If you want to know e-mail me. :-)

I've just ordered some books on Peter as well so we'll see how those turn out. This is the fun part of being a librarian!