7.28.2005

black dutch?

The great topic of discussion this week is ethnicity and heritage. This all began when Matt's mom told him on Sunday that his non-Mexican half was Scottish. This information precipitated an identity crisis for Matt as he always thought his other half was German. After all the obligatory kilt jokes, being the information nerd that I am, I had to find out.

Little did I know the can of worms that I was opening up. Just as Matt was warming up to the idea of having his own plaid, I shattered his Braveheart-esque dreams by finding out that he was probably half-English, not Scottish, thus making him a Mexi-Wasp.

While I was in history mode, I decided to research Justin's family claim of "Black Dutch." Wow. I found out that no one knows what Black Dutch really is, and it could refer to mixed ethnicity of anything from German to Black to Cherokee. (And it's probably not Dutch at all.) Needless to say, Justin now was having an identity crisis of his own. Bravely facing the fact that he might not be the target of Goldmember-inspired Dutch jokes anymore, he called his Granny June and we had an interesting conversation. What we ended up concluding is that.. Justin is...

WHITE!

Big surprise there. He's most likely English, Scotch-Irish, and German. There is a slight possibility that in the middle ages he may have inherited some Moorish blood... meaning that maybe a thousand years ago his family could have had rhythm.

As for me, I'm perfectly satisfied being a Jewish Wasp. :-) AND I can prove it!